Thursday, June 15, 2017

Two Book Adaptations I Watched First

I generally *always* try to read a book first, because 10/10 of the time, it's better than the movie. However, sometimes I just don't want to wait, or I'm not very interested in the book. Or like in the second movie's place, I'm staying away from that particular genre for awhile. Or I get spoiled (aka Me Before You, which I haven't seen yet but will be doing so soon since I'm no longer going to read the book first). There have been cases, like the Percy Jackson movies and Hidden Figures where I either didn't realize they were book adaptations or forgot. But I don't think the fact that I watched them first is going to ruin my reading experiences (at least with PJ, since I've heard the movies aren't quite like the books??? Plus I've heard the HF book is terrible, so I'm going to stick with rewatching it over and over again because it's just that amazing). ANYWAY I should move on or I'm never going to stop talking about how much I love Hidden Figures. Here are two book adaptations that I watched without reading the books recently!

The Girl on the Train
I was so interested in this movie and I just couldn’t wait to read the book first. The wait at the library was SO LONG, and I didn’t want to buy it in case I didn’t like it, so I ended up just renting the movie after awhile. And I’m honestly glad I did that. Because while I enjoyed the story, I didn’t *need* to read it beforehand. It was almost like a straight-up thriller that I can find anywhere on the shelves. It did have a lot of wicked turns to it, and I wasn’t able to call some of the twists. It was highly entertaining, and I HAD to find out what happened. But it’s also something I won’t be watching again for the simple fact that the mystery is now solved.


The 5th Wave



I’m writing this as I’m sitting here watching this movie, and it’s actually what inspired this post. I had hoped to eventually read the book first, but that just wasn’t going to happen. For one thing, I’ve sworn off dystopian and post-apocalyptic novels for the immediate future. And to be frank, they don’t totally interest me anymore anyway. So yeah, I’ve gotten to the part where Cassie and her brother, Sammy, have been separated. I’m getting Zombieland vibes from this, but it’s not about zombies, thank goodness. But it’s about aliens, which isn’t completely better. However, I like the acting so far, and I’m very interested in seeing how goes. Also omg, they’re building an army of KIDS. WHAT???? This is such a weird movie. It’s a good one to have going while I work on my dark fantasy, at least. But. Meh. It was predictable and honestly really ridiculous. Thumbs down for this one.



Have any of you guys read or seen these movies yet? If so, what did you think of them? Do you always read the book first? Let's talk! :)